Administering Botox Cosmetic® is considered a medical procedure and state laws mandate only medical providers conduct this treatment. At MarSha Medspa, Botox injections are administered only by a Medical Doctor, Nurse Practitioner or Registered Nurse. Patient medical history and contraindications are discussed in detail during the consultation step to ensure the treatment is a safe option for the client. With our providers’ thorough education and understanding of facial anatomy, along with years of experience in intramuscular injections, MarSha Medspa ensures clients receive the best possible providers for this medical treatment.
Understanding BOTOX ® Cosmetic:
What is Botox?
- Botox® is a protein complex that temporarily blocks nerve stimulation of muscles.
- Botox is the first FDA approved neurotoxin
- Botox® has been safely used for many years for medical therapeutic use (migraine, muscle spasms, etc). In 2002 it was approved by the FDA for cosmetic use as Botox® Cosmetic.
- BOTOX Cosmetic® is a facial injection treatment that improves the appearance of facial wrinkles, with minimal to no downtime.
It is a quick treatment and results are noticeable within a week. Botox results will last for up to 4 months. Due to predictable and consistent results, clients often make this a part of their routine aesthetics treatment.
What causes facial lines/wrinkles:
Facial lines can be a result of:
- Cellular changes
- Reduction of collagen
- Damage from free radicals from sun/environment
Repeated muscle contractions from frowning, squinting, or raising eyebrows can cause skin folds which result in formation of facial lines.
What areas can be treated by Botox?
- The upper areas of the face that can be treated with Botox® include crow’s feet, frown lines, and line on the forehead.
- Botox® can also be administered just below the lateral aspect of the eyebrow to produce a temporary lateral brow lift, which opens and brightens the eyes.
- Botox® can also be administered in mid face area on masseter muscles, which can help reduce jowls as well as provide pain relief resulting from clenching or grinding.
- Botox® can be used to soften vertical upper and lower lip lines.
How does Botox work?
Botox is the first and only FDA approved neurotoxin to temporarily paralyze muscles that make frown lines, crow’s feet, and forehead wrinkles in adults. Botox works beneath the skin surface, and temporarily reduces muscle activity helping smooth out lines and wrinkles. Botox is backed by over 16 years of published studies. The highest industry safety standards of its manufacturing process and resulting potency, make Botox an industry leader of neurotoxins.
How long does Botox Cosmetic® last?
- BOTOX Cosmetic® results last anywhere from 3-6 months.
- With repeated injection, the effect may regularly last up to 5 or 6 months. Although some wrinkles and creases may completely disappear (temporarily), it is important to understand that some may improve but not completely disappear.
- BOTOX ® Cosmetic is not a permanent treatment. If you discontinue treatment the moderate to severe frown lines, crow’s feet and forehead lines will gradually return.
What to expect with Botox Cosmetic® injections?
Injections may feel like a pinch. Patients typically see a noticeable smoothing of frown and forehead lines within 48 hours. The risk of side effects is low. Some temporary side effects include:
- Mild nausea
At MarSha MedSpa, our medical director, Dr. Shaikh conducts or directly supervises all Botox injections.
Botox Cosmetic is not covered by insurance. At MarSha MedSpa, the patient is responsible for Botox injection charges. To schedule Botox appointments, please call 919-747-9733.